1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Potential problem with ASP method TransformNode (?)

Do any of you XML gurus out there know whether the ASP "TransformNode" method works with MSXML2 as well as in MSXML3?

I'm having the following problem on my Web site (Windows-hosted) but not on my PC in local mode, where it works quite well (in IIS under Windows 2000 Pro):

On the Web site, the following ASP script manages to call up my XSL stylesheet but seems not to apply it to the XML document (only the HTML part of the stylesheet is output to the screen, none of the XML entities are getting processed). However, when I call the same XML document directly in the browser, the stylesheet is correctly applied. It is just not applied when I call it via the ASP script below. (Again, in localhost on my PC operating IIS Windows 2000 Pro the processing gets done just fine.)

Any brilliant ideas as to why the stylesheet "guestbook.xls" is not getting applied to the XML document "guestbook.xml"?

Code:
    <%
    Dim oSource, oStyle

'Create the XML DOM object for the XML file
    Set oSource = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    oSource.async = False

'Load the XML file into the DOM object
    oSource.load server.mappath("/") & "\laura\special\XML\guestbook\guestbook.xml"

'Create the XML DOM object for the XSL stylesheet
    Set oStyle=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    oStyle.async = False

'Load the XSL file into the Style DOM object
    oStyle.Load Server.mappath("/") & "\laura\special\XML\guestbook\guestbook.xsl"

'Write the document to the browser
    Response.Write oSource.TransformNode(oStyle)		

%>
    Any other suggestions as to the source of the problem would be well appreciated!

(Also do you know whether there are still some Web hosts out there that are using MSXML2 instead of MSXML3?)

Laura
  3. No Profile Picture
    The Architect

You probably need to install MSXML3 in replace mode.

See the MSXML FAQ at www.netcrucible.com/
  5. No Profile Picture
    The Architect

The latest release of MSXML 4.0 does not support version independent progid, i.e., there is no more replace mode. If you want to use MSXML 4.0, you need to add ".4.0" at the end of the progid. For example, use "MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0" instead of "MSXML2.DOMDocument".

The new approach ensures backward compatibility. The new problem now is that you must change "all" of your source code to a newer version when you want to move to the newer version, e.g., 5.0, in the future.

Finally, you may want to subscribe to the following list: xml-dev@lists.xml.org. Sometihings get a little heavy, but it is a very useful and informative list to be on.<smile />
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy TransformNode problem

My Web host is using MSXML3, so it seems that the parser version is not the issue here.
    Laura

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo