1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Software library for reading and writing xml

Hello, this is my first post and I hope I'm posting in the right place.
    I have a xml schema and I want to use it for generating xml instances for exchanging information. Actually, I wanna develop libraries for a software to export and import it's results in the form of xml instances.
    Could any elaborate more on this issue?
    Thanks
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So... you have a schema that your software needs to follow when it generates its XML?

It depends what language you're working with. There might be something that you "feed" the schema into, provide data, and it outputs the XML, or it could be as simple as just piecing the XML together as a string by yourself.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    So... you have a schema that your software needs to follow when it generates its XML?

It depends what language you're working with. There might be something that you "feed" the schema into, provide data, and it outputs the XML, or it could be as simple as just piecing the XML together as a string by yourself.
    Let me explain it more.
    I have a software which has copy right and I want this software to generate xml instances according to schema. The mentioned software is not open source and the schema is a standard schema and this xml instances are used to exchange information. In fact I wanna add the capability of reading and writing xml instances to this copy righted software. The software creates the data and I should get the data from that software. The software is a measurement software and after the measurement, the results should be reported as xml instances according to the schema.
    I am not sure which language I should use but I am considering visual studio as an option.
    I am not sure but I have heard that I need to create libraries for the software to add that capability? Is that right?
  7. Come play with me!

I have no idea what software you're talking about so I don't know what you can do for it. But unless it specifically gives you a way of adding "extensions" or "addons" or something to it, no you cannot just write something and have the program use it.
  9. No Profile Picture

I have no idea what software you're talking about so I don't know what you can do for it. But unless it specifically gives you a way of adding "extensions" or "addons" or something to it, no you cannot just write something and have the program use it.
    Suppose they use my code by themselves without breaking the copy right.
  11. Come play with me!

I would love it if you could just explain everything, well, from the very beginning, so that it makes sense. Talking about your code and this "copy right" (it's one word) software and XML... I'm sure it makes sense to you but for everybody else you've just giving us bits and pieces of the problem.

Alright, so the latest version of your question is something like this:
    There is software that produces results [of something] in some format. I cannot change the software. I need to write a program which can "translate" the results into an XML format that conforms to a schema (which I have). How can I do this?
    So
    1. Is that a correct description of your problem?
    2. What does the output you're getting from the program look like?
    3. What does the XML you need to produce look like?
  13. No Profile Picture

I would love it if you could just explain everything, well, from the very beginning, so that it makes sense. Talking about your code and this "copy right" (it's one word) software and XML... I'm sure it makes sense to you but for everybody else you've just giving us bits and pieces of the problem.

Alright, so the latest version of your question is something like this:

So
    1. Is that a correct description of your problem?
    2. What does the output you're getting from the program look like?
    3. What does the XML you need to produce look like?
    Actually, I am doing research for the company that owns the software, so the owner of software will use the code and the "copy right" will not be an issue as they are the owner.
    SO:
    1. It is almost my question.
    2.I get the results in formats that I could open with notepad. The results are proprietary technical formats but able to open with notepad.
    3.The XML that I wanna produce is according to W3Schools format. The one one that widely is accepted.
    4.I don't know exactly what should be the input of my code or in what format I should feed the information.
  15. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What language? Most languages already have built-in (or at least normally packaged) XML libraries.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo