Thread: XML or Database

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question XML or Database

I have been working on ASP/PHP/database development for quite some time. I am very new to XML and from what I learned about XML it is used as a sort of data storage.

1. If I am using SQL Server as my backend why should I convert it to XML data to run with ASP.

2. How should I choose between XML and Database like SQL Server for web applications.

3. Is'nt it easier to use an SQL query for retrieving data.

I need help from XML gurus and all the users inorder to get me going with XML.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Rock Star

well, you're right, if you're using the SQL then you don't need XML, it would be kind of pointless to add the extra step of parsing the XML when all you need to do is dump data into a database, and yes it is much easier to search an SQL database (hence: Structured Query Language)
    As far as choosing goes, depends on the projects needs, if you need to send data across the world to anyone using any type of computer....use XML, otherwise if the data for instance is going to be used by say a bunch of ASP pages...etc. use SQL.
    As far as getting you going on XML, check out devsheds tutorials, also w3schools XML
    good luck.

Just remember not to over complicate things, if you only need SQL or XML, choose one, don't bother with both, XML is great, but it's a nuisance in some cases.
    PHP and XML
    Let's talk about SAX
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks. That makes my life easier. Well, in that case why is XML so important, if it comes into picture only when we have to send data to other computers. 'Cause I guess in most of the web applications this scenario does'nt occur often.

Thanks once again.
  7. Rock Star

why xml?

Well, in that case why is XML so important, if it comes into picture only when we have to send data to other computers.
    Well that's exactly what XML was designed for, to send data back in forth between computers in a way that both the computer and coder can easily decipher. XML is platform independent, a MAC can read it just as well as a PC or a PDA etc. Not true with many (web) technologies. Just use it when you see fit.
    PHP and XML
    Let's talk about SAX
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thanks

Thankyou very much

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo