Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

XML Info Organisation

I'd like to create an XML program where users can using a front-end web program create tags of XML, including properties of the tags, and subproperties, or subtags. The user can allocates a definition to the tag, and a URI is created for each object. Hence, each tag can be reused by different users. Users can also attribute xml tags from the program by searching the web internally, and highlighting anything, be it a line, or a picture or video, and can either comment on it, or attribute xml to it. Once xml is attributed to it, the object is stored in the xml tag, and the other properties of the object can be filled in according to the properties of the xml which was defined. Eg. a picture could be given the tag: 'picture' and the picture is stored here. But information such as the 'subject' of the picture, or the 'dimensions' (if not already automatically inputted), can be put in by the users. Hence all objects can be viewed on the site, from the web or otherwise.

I'd like to create this program please, any help.
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, with where I should begin. There is a site: schema.com, which includes many xml schema on different objects, and I'd like to create a similar site, but with the ability to create a front-end for creating these classes. And how to link between xml elements, and create objects from the xml classes, by allowing the user to include the details of the properties for the object.
  7. Lazy Moderator

You're focusing a lot on the frontend. Do you understand XML? Know about namespaces and how to use them? Used XML schemas?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No, not much. Barely just started to learn
  11. Lazy Moderator

You'll need to know that. After all, how are going to design a UI for something you don't understand? The good news is that I don't see any problems with your idea; I can't promise it'll work exactly like you are imagining now, but the underlying idea is solid. Good, even, I could see it filling a purpose that someone, including me, could want: providing a namespace URI and getting information about the schema, helping build XML, and whatever.

For the UI you'll want WYSIWYG highlighting but otherwise it's basically just a big database of stuff...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I see, I appreciate the analysis. Do you want to help me build it? Thank you in advance, for the advice and the help.
    But is it possible to link elements in xml, using namespaces perhaps, and are there examples
  15. Lazy Moderator

Originally Posted by AleksHan
    I see, I appreciate the analysis. Do you want to help me build it? Thank you in advance, for the advice and the help.
    I can't really, but as long as you keep coming back here then there will always be someone around to help.

Originally Posted by AleksHan
    But is it possible to link elements in xml, using namespaces perhaps, and are there examples
    That's basically what namespaces are for. Not sure what you mean by "link elements", though.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

By link elements, I meant, linking one xml element and its children to a page about that element. Well, are there examples of namespaces used in webpages, because there have been a few problems in linking the xml on a webpage, as opposed to html, which is easy
  19. Lazy Moderator

You can't do that in the XML itself, but you can use the namespace URI (which is in the XML) to look up information about the schema. To be more precise, use it to look up in your database information you've already gathered - the URI is merely a URI and, while supposedly a place a human can go, it does not imply a location where you could automatically scrape information about the schema.

Namespaces don't belong in HTML; XHTML was popular for a while and did allow namespaces, being XML-compatible, but people have stopped using that in favor of HTML 5.
    Last edited by requinix; March 12th, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, so in moving forward, I'll have to create individual links to the xml pages and can direct a parser to them (I believe). I can also display xml elements using the namespaces. But what can I do specifically, to get started? Are there parsers I can use, or opensource programs, or maybe learn xsl or another programming language?
    Where should I store the info, in xml form in a relational database, or should I use a noSQL or ontology or perhaps JSON method of storing information to retrieve it more easily. How difficult would you rate this project on a scale of 1 to 10?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, do you know how I can generate xml using a front-end input method. So have an input for the root, and you can add properties, and subproperties, and give the types of the properties after that. It would be great to do this, and to display the XML that is created as well in HTML.
  25. Lazy Moderator

Your use of the term "link" continues to confuse me.

Here is a sample of some XML:
    xml Code:
    <list:employeeList xmlns:list="urn:corp:list" xmlns:emp="urn:corp:emp" xmlns:sec="urn:corp:sec">
      <list:personList>
        <emp:empID>E0000001</emp:empID>
        <sec:name>Sales</sec:name>
        <emp:name>John Smith</emp:name>
      </list:personList>
      <list:personList>
        <emp:empID>E0000002</emp:empID>
        <sec:name>Development</sec:name>
        <emp:name>Ichiro Tanaka</emp:name>
      </list:personList>
    </list:employeeList>

There are three namespaces in here*, each with a unique URI. In the real world they are generally URIs to someplace on the internet, but that's not always the case. In the real world they are generally accessible pages that you can stick into your browser's address bar to learn more about the schema, but that's not always the case either. They do tend to be unique, though, so you've got that going for you which is nice.

Your site could, say,
    - Present the XML to a user
    - Provide contextual information about the "urn:corp:list", the "urn:corp:emp", and the "urn:corp:sec" namespaces, which you have previously gathered into your database
    - Let the user edit XML, as is seen in many "online editors" for things, with support for indentation and autocomplete and highlighting and schema validation and whatever else you want to add to the editor
    - Let the user point and click with buttons and stuff to edit the XML, which would make it easier to obey a schema (since you'd only let users make edits that were valid)
    - Save the XML in your database, either as the entire string (easy) or with each element and attribute broken down individually (much better for searching)

Every major programming language has some kind of support for XML, either built-in, part of a common framework, or available as an importable package thing.

Difficulty? I don't know much about the state of Javascript-based editing libraries but the rest of it would be easy for me to do.

* Technically there's a fourth, the default, but it isn't being used.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure how to attribute xml to an object, say a picture, in such a way that I can allow the xml to be viewed separately from the object, and hence edited separately

Ok, then help me please. To do the actual project, the parts that you can do. As much as possible; I'm on a very very short deadline, and I'd need to complete this quick, but I think I can make it so I can learn on the job. You'll receive credit for what you do.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But, thank you, so far
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo