Thread: Xml questions

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Xml questions

Is Xml client side or server side? I want to be able to use xml to organize data but it would be useless if I had to worry about what browsers support what. is xml supported at all? and finally if you can plz link me to any good tutorials on xml. the basics only please.. dont confuse me with crazy advanced stuff... thanx alot.

Later
  3. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet

Try to read trough this first:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/XML/

Also take a look at another thread in this board, it explains why XML is a 'good thing' :

Why Learn XML?
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  5. No Profile Picture

alright, here it is in the simplest terms:

XML by itself is neither client side NOR server side.
    XML, in terms of concept is similar to HTML (don't take this too literally, HTML has COMPLETELY different uses from XML); it simply describes something, but doesn't "do" anything on its own. You need to get something to to "transform" XML into something a browser will understand, namely HTML. So you write a template that will be filled out using data from the XML document.

Here is where it is determined whether XML becomes client or server side. You can apply this template (which, inscidentally, is called an XSL Stylesheet) either on the client side or the server side.

If you want details on how it's processed, let me know, but for now, I'm just gonna leave it there.

-numLocked
    http://www.numlocked.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo