1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

Hi guys,
    I've been reading my XML bookS and I still don't and can't see what xml can do more than what I already do using PHP,JS,HTML ?

it's dynamic ?
    so is my PHP, Database...

it comunicates data better ?
    so is my PHP, Database, JS, HTML, CSS bla bla..

so what's the point here ?
    can anyone give me a REAL LIFE example where I could really rely on XML/XSLT/XPath ?

is XML just another technology out there that does the same as all the others floating in the air ?

thanks.
    -patrick
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I don't know much about PHP, but I know JS,HTML,XML, and ASP. Admittedly, I'm no XML expert, but I remember when I started learning the language, I thought "man, this seems theoretical", but after reading, and re-reading, and typing and re-typing, I've found it rather neat. Does PHP allow you to port the data to different platforms? XML is great for custimization, and controlling data. Granted, it needs other languages to display it, but what language doesn't benefit from other languages. I'm not sure if that gives you an answer, but keep at it...the concepts become more apparent the more you learn about XML. That, and the fact that all signs point to XML becoming a superset to HTML. HTML isn't going to be around forever, at least not in the form we all know and love.

Cheers,
    Jae.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo