Thread: How xml work?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, i already learned about how to create a xml document, but the question is how am i going to make it work on browser? Do i need so program to start it to run????

Comments on this post

• Gran Roguismo agrees
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi,

You will need an XML compatible browser. Your old Netscape / IE wont handle it. IE5 seems to be partly there but not completely...perhaps because the W3C standards aren't completed yet. Netscape 5 / 6 have test bed XML applications built in but still arent widely useable.

New browsers are coming but it looks like at least 6 months down the road. The other option is server side XML parsing and handling and just sending plain old HTML back to the client. Seems a bit pointless but at least your sites will be XML ready.

Have fun..

Comments on this post

• Gran Roguismo agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would like 2 comment:
    I guess writting XML is similar like HTML (well nearly). Just that it is much more powerfull. But i even have the same problem...how does one work it or run it. does it directly work by writing the script and saving it as xml..??
    Well i am not sure......just let me know if u figure a way out.

cheers....
    duke

Comments on this post

• Gran Roguismo agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

I think basically you need 3 files to make XML work properly in a browser.

1. The DTD - This defines what the tags do or how they function. You can get generalised ones from W3C.

2. The XSL - This defines how the tags should be displayed in the browser.

3. The XML - This is where the actual info/data/text is stored. Kind of simular to an HTML file except you can just <makeup>tags<as>you<go>

The concept is that you can provide alternate XSL files to differernt browser technologies while using a common XML file.(I think??)

You will need a copy of IE5.5 which seems to be the only browser to handle XSL at the moment.

If you havent got an XML browser you will get problems when pointing your browser the .XML file.

I guess your ISP may have to add some application types and whatever to the setup.

Does that help ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo