1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

XML Namespaces, IDs and Parsing

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding xml. I would like to be able to create ids for all my xml elements preferably created autmatically, along with a common id (generally a name), in order to be able to reuse xml elements without describing them all again, and a way to search for them and view them.
    How can this be done? Is an XML parser involved? I don't understand the structure of the namespaces, or xml ids at all. And they don't seem to have any reasonable or well-defined purpose, for what I'm trying to do.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd like to be able to type in an xml element's name, and see its structure displayed. Like a search engine for xml, which can be used to attribute to certain objects
  5. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yup: you definitely doesn't understand XML.

Buy a book on it. I keep telling you that you need to learn about it and so far I haven't seen anything that suggests you have. So I'm going to give up and tell you to buy a book on the subject. Hopefully then you will finally understand what namespaces are - which will be a good thing because they are the solution to your problems. Which I've also told you already. Repeatedly.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

*sulkily: Ok, thank you......
    But as long as that's what's needed, I know I'm on the right track
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How do I actually build a program to upload html files, and to edit them onsite, but attributing xml to the pages there, whilst creating xml scripts and saving them. I'd like to do this or to actually preview webpages and select parts of them to attribute xml tags to onsite immediately.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

*by attributing the xml to the pages. And how can you search for xml like a search engine. I understand namespaces, but how do you implement them.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Please respond: in other words, resolving the problem that is inherent in namespaces, that they cannot be used, or generally aren't used, as links to actual data. If they aren't being used as links to data, ok, but their structure is simple enough that it can be used to help a program attribute links to the xml and hence create data linkages, perhaps not in the xml, but using the simplicity of xml to do it. Or, why not just create a new language allowing one to link between different elements?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo